Sunday, March 9, 2008

Weekend round-up

This weekend was more social than most. It felt like my 'coming back into the real world' weekend, which was nice though daunting. Here is the run down:
Friday: work 1/2 day, in jeans. Pissed off at the impending weather doom. After work, made some killer guac. and headed to Susan's house with CJ for some catching up. Laughed so hard that I cried. We joked, mourned, celebrated, ate good food, drank good drinks. It was so refreshing. That is the way I would describe Su...refreshing. I could tell dirty jokes about ex boyfriends and politicians and we would just laugh, laugh, laugh. Loved it.

Saturday: Brunch with friends that was a bit of a friend set up. Walked around Naked Art, admiring the great local art and reminiscing about when it was Zoeys, and VRichards was too small to seat everyone (I miss it). Then I went and illegally printed some Screenplays from a library. I am not going to say much, except that we got busted and I still got the print-outs and saved the day. I am such a bad ass! Like Uma Thurman, without the killing and the Quentin Tarantino dialogue.
Speaking of dialogue, next month starts Script Frenzy, the month long insanity of writing a full length screenplay in 30 days. I participated last year with friends and this year am the leader of the Birmingham Region. It was such a fun event and I highly recommend it to everyone. It is just 30 days of free flowing ideas and typing any bad idea that comes to mind. No editing, just writing. It is a rush and I rediscovered my love of writing from it. I actually went on to enter a contest, which I placed 4th in (a big deal for a beginner). If you are interested, check out the link and get in touch with me. You won't regret it. More posts to come on it. ANYWAY, I also read some scripts this weekend.

Saturday night I went with CJ to the Magic City Art Connection benefit soiree. What a scene. The Birmingham paparazzi was out in full force, as were everyone who wanted to see and be seen. We mingled, had our pictures taken, drank some free beer and hit the road...to the Speakeasy to see Vulture Whale. What a fun band of nice guys who make kick ass music. Check em out. Always enjoy their shows. Also played some rousing games of Foosball, which created a bit of a crowd (people seem to love dressed up girls drinking beer and yelling at the table,not to mention talking complete smack to each other!). Stayed and saw a few songs by Tiger Piss...an, um, interesting band. Got home late, smelling like smoke.
this was a crowd of people that I had not seen in about 2 months, and I was very nervous. It was great. I went with a safe friend, and eased into the social scene. I don't think that I will be back in full force, but occasionally it is nice.

Sunday, I did what is becoming routine. Sleep late, then bike to Starbucks to read and hang out. Got a call that I am getting an antique dresser, chest and new Queen sized bed this week...as a gift! Yea! I am trying to make my apt homey, especially my bedroom...this is going to do wonders for that. Am so very, very excited. A nice end to a nice weekend.
Well, I have another script to read and some dishes to do. This time change thing is messing me up, but I love it! Daylight at 6:35!!
Have a good week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beware closet-case eunuchs with syphilis of the bum.

Carla Jean said...

Refreshing is definitely THE word for Susan. Enjoyed the friend setup, too! And dancing at the Vulture Whale show, even though my feet HURT the next day.

Also, my word verification starts with TTFN. How very Winnie the Pooh!

Elisa M said...

Anon- I have heard about this outbreak. I hear it is esp prevalent in the Southside area. Guard David and Corduroy dog!

CJ- Yeah, dancing in red stilettos is never a good plan for foot comfort. I had a blast too. yeah foosball.

susan said...

I would have a lot to be upset about if David or Corduroy were susceptible to butt-Syphilis. (Talk about an amusing Google search.)

And yes, Southside is the place to go for such an ailment. So I hear.

Natalie said...

Gah! No editing?!? You are just trying to make me cry. jk Seriously, I could never ever, ever just write without editing. I always end up writing the same paragraph for a week and then getting totally bored. Yes, I've never finished a story of any length. I darn well should though. Just so I can laugh at my own story-telling. Oooh, I did write one freaking awesome piece for a forum contest. It was full of piratified swearing. My brother-in-law just about turned purple 'cause he's never heard me swear before. It was great.

Ok, tired. Stopping the jabber.

P.S. Blog fixes are becoming to little too late. I need some fresh Elisa. Haven't had a talk with you since goodness knows when.

Ok, tired. Babbling. G'night.

Elisa M said...

Natalie,
You would not believe how absolutely freeing it is not to edit until it is complete. That is the best/hardest part...in order to get 100 pages in 30 days, you have no time to edit. You edit after the 30 days are over (I am still editing last years!). It is awesome.
Yes, I agree that we need some time.
goodnight to you