Friday, March 21, 2008

Termites and crack...or Elisa's First day of Spring

Yesterday was a good day. Got a ton done at work, although never as much as I hope. My friend let me borrow his car as mine is still in the shop, the sun was shining. Scott's family came for a little visit and brought me the rest of my new bedroom furniture (before and after pics soon), and I planned to have CJ over for a new recipe (a rendition of Urban Standard's Orzo pasta salad) and a beer to celebrate Spring the start of Kitchn: The Cure, which we are both participating it. And, she and I signed up for a veggie CSA with Grow Alabama. All good things to celebrate!

I get home and start to cook. Tender Orzo boiling on the stove, beer freshly opened, when I notice a little bug. I thought "Well, that's what you get when you cook with the door open" and killed it. Then I noticed another...and another. I determined that they were coming from the water heater closet. I opened it up to find TERMITES! EVERYWHERE! There was a crazy swarm of them. I instantly freaked out and started doing an insane "get the hell away from me" dance and armed myself with the only chemical left in my house: bleach. I sprayed them as though they were out to kill, yelling things like I hope this burns your soft, soft underbellies (what!?)and You will not ruin my Easter!!. About this time CJ came in. Witnessing my meltdown, she quickly decided we must go out to eat. On our way to a Mexican joint for Guac, we saw Nabeels...and quickly pulled in.
It was wonderful. We feasted on stuffed grape leaves and feta, Taramasalata dip (the aptly named 'crack' dish of caviar and greek yogurt) and fried potatoes. Accompanied by wine of course. My termite problems were soon forgotten in an hour long conversation about food (seriously, we talked food for an hour). We dissected the flavors and nuances of each item and their pairings and potential. It was refreshing. It was also decided that we now must start a tradition of Greek food on the First Day of Spring. After literally eating the dip with our fingers after running out of crudites, we decided it might be time to go home....to the TERMITES.
they had all perished in a chemical induced frenzy and lay waste on my kitchen floor. A quick run with the vaccuum and the evidence was gone.
This easily could have been my undoing. I am just starting to like the apartment, and this incident could have turned me off of my kitchen and my home completely. But it didn't. I cleaned up, drank and beer and laughed about it. After Ant Wars 2008, termites are a breeze.
When I got to work today and told my 'cellmate' about it, a coworker from a few cubes away piped up "When are you going to call someone about getting your hex removed". I need to get on that...

A visual of the horror:

6 comments:

Liz said...

totally traumatizing.

and seriously, what is up with your and van gunter's karma?? two of the coolest people i know with some of the crappiest karma ever.

Elisa M said...

oh no, did something else happen to Van?
Yeah, my karma sucks. I am like Midas...only the exact opposite!

Elisa M said...

Oh, thank you for the kind compliment!

Jessica said...

Siiiiiiiick. Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick, sick, sick, sick, sick! You. Are. Brave. I would have vom-ed, then started screaming and running until I was in my mommy's arms. Sick.

In other news, I loved your famous dish on the cure. Now if I look through your flickr account will I see the rest of your apt?

Elisa M said...

Jessica-it was totally sick! I have some kitchen pics up there now, and will have more apt pics as they come along. I keep forgetting to take 'before' pictures, but am trying to get better!

Mamie said...

As I was reading abaout the termite trauma, I thought "these young girls are so easily frightened"...but as I got to the picture (truly worth a thousand words!), I thought "OMG!" I would have been traumatized!! I had to laugh though. Back in the day, my "go to" killer chemical was hairspray. Pretty scary that I could kill just about anything around the house and still spray it all over my head!