My response-So what?
If it is cool to eat well and support local economy and wonder where your lettuce comes from, well, I don't have a problem with that. Sure, the name Michael Pollan is thrown around...and the word "organic" has been raped of it's original meaning. I know that there is also a growing trend of Industrial Organic farming (meaning feed lots and no grazing, but 'organic' feed and grains) and that Whole Foods gets the majority of it's food from a few huge farms, but I am still hopeful. I think that the reason this trend has caught on is that it is what our society is longing for. It feels good, it connects us to things bigger than us (that does not have a CEO).
It is bigger, yet smaller. The world is huge now, much too big for me to grasp. Aren't we made for community? I see so much community in talking to a farmer about his land as you buy eggs and radishes from him. Seeing their children, the ones they are supporting with the vegetables that they refuse to poison on the land that they don't want to sell to an Industrial Farm. Knowing that the peaches you eat are grown just a few miles from your house and the honey you put on your toast is from a hive that has not been lost in Alabama. Sure, that means that I haven't had grapes in a while, and I do miss that. But I will not be eating a tasteless peach or homogenized honey.
This is not to say that I am against eating all things not grown here. I do it all the time. However, each time I shop, I think about my food and my body. I wonder how tasty a tomato that is just now ripe in the stores, clearly picked weeks ago and ripened in a truck is going to be. I normally pass it up. There are some (many) things that are not produced here, and I am thankful that I am able to get them if I so desire (coffee!).
Here is my point (and I do have one)-If everyone who is following this 'hip new food trend' wondered about their food, a difference would be made. I believe in grass roots movements and small change. I believe that my shopping trends and eating trends have an impact. I believe that our families will be healthier and our children more respectful of their food and community. I believe it is better for my health (both body and mind) to eat good, wholesome food that I or someone in my community has grown. I know that homemade stock if better than store bought, sue me.
In the words of a good friend: F*@k cornsyrup.

5 comments:
I completely agree. I admit that occasionally I wince at the whole trendy thing. For whatever reason (too tired to think it out right now) I really don't want to class myself with those jag driving brooky gourmets who shop at Whole Foods and read Deepak Chopra.
have you heard of the Green Reader? It was published back in the late 80's I think and spoke to a lot of these issues that are forming such a big part of the public debate these days (bioregionalism and the like) and it makes you realize that we really are making progress. It's somewhat encouraging.
It's ecocriticism, really.
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Reader-Essays-Sustainable-Society/dp/1562790102
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Reader-Essays-Sustainable-Society/dp/1562790102
sorry that link didn't work
DAMMIT!
What a great post. Every long once in a while, it thankfully becomes trendy to just get smart!
Post a Comment