Monday, April 14, 2008

Weekend round-up

This weekend was relatively quiet. Nothing particulary bad ass, just my normal badassiness.
Friday-After work I did nothing. At all. I came home, started some laundry, sat on the couch...and fell asleep. I woke up at 9:30, putzed around, read a bit...and went back to sleep.
Saturday was a bit more exciting. Went to Urban Standard. I love it there, but don't go much because it is farther away than many other coffee shops and with the price of gas...you get the drift. Those of you who will in suburbia will say that it is not too far away (as it is only 10 minutes), but there are about 5 coffee shops on my way, so I prefer to stay closer to home. ANYWAY, I wrote a little bit and talked a little bit (and maybe flirted a little bit), and left. Went to my friend Natalie's to meet with her mother in law for a holistic healing diagnosis. It was so interesting and helpful. I have a package of supplements coming tomorrow. Roll your eyes if you like, but I believe wholeheartedly in holistic medicine and healing. It was also nice to see the home that Natalie and Allan have made. they are so cool.
I then raced home to get ready for a party for a 1 year olds birthday, sat on the couch...and fell asleep. I woke up 30 minutes late and sad, so I didn't go. Just wasn't in the frame of mind emotionally to be around happy, beautiful people. Maybe I should have gone, but i didn't. Sorry Treads. Then went to BAM at Brookwood to read magazines and hang out.
Sunday I woke up early and my Dad and his wife came for Brunch. I fixed a wonderful recipe from Apples for Jam. White risotto with fried eggs. Side of fresh Asparagus and thick bacon. It was delicious and the visit was nice. My Dad and I have had a tenuous relationship for some time now. However, this time things were different. He was gentler and seemed happy. Less angry and impulsive. He told me that he volunteers at his church's breadbasket (the Church thing was shocking enough!), and he and June play scrabble for fun. It seems that after 50 years he decided to grow up. Good for him. Good for me. Good for our relationship. Took another nap (I slept A LOT this weekend) and then went to church. Again.
And you know what, I wasn't angry. I wasn't scared. It felt good. The sermon was wonderful. I saw people who had hurt me and felt no anger toward them, just sadness. Not weeping sadness, but a sadness that we are all sinners stuck here for while, trying to muddle through and not damage each other too much.
Then cooked a yummy dinner, wrote a bit, paid bills (thank goodness for the IRS and my bonus) and went to bed.
Another weekend down. No trauma. A success.

Next weekend: A crawfish boil, Old 280 boogie in Waverly and the Botanical Gardens Earth Day Celebration...stay tuned

6 comments:

susan said...

Oh, I went to some of the best kegs ever in Waverly when I was at Auburn. I went out with one of the Standard Deluxe guys for a little bit and it was big fun. Until it wasn't anymore. That was something like 10 years ago.

trip said...

**Cough** http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/59-natural-medicine/ **cough**

By the way, maybe you should share that risotto recipe.

trip said...

Lame; that link was supposed to be to the Stuff White People Like article about Natural Medicine. You get the gist.

Elisa M said...

Su-that is Hilarious. A little story to tell the young'un about your small town days!
Trip-I have been trying to deny it, but it's true...i'm white. I guess this proves it. The risotto recipe is on my to do list, I am hoping to get it typed out this week and then post it.

Natalie said...

Awww heck. My mother-in-law is just another trend on the hip, urban calendar. :P

It was good to see you, Elisa.

Anonymous said...

Apples for Jam is my favorite book right now. In fact, this is definitely going to be the Summer of Apples for Jam. Yep.