Sunday, February 17, 2008

Weekend round-up

I just finished my first entire weekend in my new home. It was unexpectedly lovely, for so many reasons. Here is a run down (because I am sure you are just dying to know my weekend details...)

Friday night I said goodbye to Angelica, an unexpected friend from China. She is so brave and fun. She also dresses like Slash sometimes! I also had refreshing, authentic conversations with RMC friends. Went home and went to bed early.

Saturday I started the day with a coffee cupping at Primavera with C.J, a friend who went from a blogger friend to a 'real' friend. I had the best Mocha that I have found in town so far (the very best mocha is from Mocha in downtown Milwaukee...a wonderful mix of dark chocolate, milk, caramel, foam...mmm). The cupping was wonderful and introduced me to their fresh roasted Brazilian blend, which I promptly bought. Then on to The Summit, where I found out that poppies grow in Alabama! Picked up a packet of those and the Smith and Hawken catalog, a dreaming gardeners, well, dream! Next stop, Williams Sonoma. Again, more dreaming and buying. Grapeseed oil in a tin, biscuit cutters...
I digress.
Stopped by Starbucks to have coffee and spend time with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and friends I see often. Kidnapped far-away friend for bike buying excursion. 1 hour later, I was the proud owner of a cool cruiser. Said cruiser has been described by a friend as 'the mac of bikes, sleek and black and white". sigh. It's true. I rode it to a bookshop and grocery store, wearing a skirt and checkered Vans, feeling like a million bucks!!
The day also included lunch and beer at The Garage, and cooking dinner for friends mentioned above. It ended at Bottletree for a Dance Party where I shook my ass with about 100 hipsters, decked out in spandex, dreads, and fanny packs. What a day. The best one I have had in quite some time.
Today (Sunday) I have read my Teen book (An Abundance of Katherines). Thanks Tillman3x's for the rec and the borrowed copy. Also worked on my pesto recipe. Recipe to be shared soon, once it is tweaked a bit more. Modifications include arugula and sprouts. Also successfully tried Red Velvet cake balls from Bakerella.

All in all a very lovely weekend, full of friends, food and other feel good things. God really knows exactly how to make me feel at home here in my new little nest. It's funny how He shows up just when I am sure that he has forgotten me and reminds me that He knows me best and can speak intimately to my deepest fears and pains and longings.

5 comments:

Carla Jean said...

I am still dreaming of that salt grinder...

Charlotte said...

Sounds very fun! I love your bike...

Elisa M said...

carla-it was a good one. and would be so cute with your lonely pepper grinder.
charlotte-thanks! You should come over and ride it.

trip said...

cake balls

Amanda said...

that is quite a weekend! i need to try this primavera. also, i love bakerella. i want to try some of her stuff soon.

did you say things in french whilst rising your basketed bike to the market and bookseller in your feminine frock?