Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weekend round-up



I haven't done a weekend round up in a while, so I thought I would do one tonight. As opposed to the heavy laden post I was planning on doing. Enough heavy posts lately.

Friday I had a new, but becoming good, friend for dinner. We drank beer and ate too much cheese and cooked and talked. We talked about being single women and how hard it is and our longings and the Fall...you know, typical girl night fodder...
I hope that our dinners become a regular thing.

Saturday I woke up early and headed to Pepper Place. It was HOT outside. I was quickly reminded that I do not enjoy Alabama summers. At all. However, Pepper Place market is my favorite thing about Birmingham, so I brave the heat. If I don't go every week (last week I slept until 1pm and missed it completely), I find that my eating for the week suffers. That is where I buy a lot of my fruit and vegetables for the week. This week I was delighted to see Blackberries and swiped them quickly up.



I then went to a super fun, laidback baby shower for Susan. It was truly a celebration and was refreshing. We laughed and joked and talked about what kind of girl Carrie is going to be and what kind of parents Su and David will be. Watching Carrie grow up is going to be fun. I can't wait to meet her. Sadness snuck it's way in after a few hours so I excused myself and went home. Where I slept and read for the rest of the day...which was wonderful.



I think that rest was much needed. As was some good alone time, which I had been avoiding for some time now.

Sunday I got up, made some delicious blackberry muffins and packed a bag for a day on the river. We canoed for 5 hours and arrived home exhausted. The kind of day where your body is tired and your muscles cry for rest. Where your body is too tired for your mind to keep you up at night. It is amazing what being on the water and using my body does for my soul. As Patty Griffin says " I need a little place in the sun sometimes for I think I will die". The sun and swimming did me good today.


A good day.




Here's to a good week. I leave Thursday for Wisconsin to see my youngest sister graduate High School. Way to go Ash. This year has been hard, but you did it. I am so proud!!

7 comments:

susan said...

Did you photoshop my Buddha? Mine is like five times that huge.

Elisa M said...

Nope-no photoshopping. Maybe it was the angle? that was my favorite photo of the day.

I have the rest and will send them to you if I ever remember.

Amanda said...

tip: after eating half a block of havarti, do NOT check the fat/calorie content at the grocery store the next day. you do not want to know.

trip said...

Good news

Anna said...

i am longing for an alabama summer day right now - i am freezing my ass off!!!!
i miss you elisa!

Liz said...

nice pics.

looking forward to hanging tonight.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet Carrie.