I just had dinner with my sister. We have always had a funny (read: hard) relationship, but lately it has been good. We have been able to talk without the competitive edge that kept us so busy and apart for all these years. We speak into each others lives, but carefully and gingerly, knowing that the years must be made up and the trust must be earned. But it is happening...slowly but surely we are building the kinship that we have never had. It is funny how you can not talk (really talk) to someone for months and months, but having grown up together and shared formative years in each others company, you can know them so well. She was around in my awkward, shy phase, I was around in her rebellious phase. She has seen my heart broken by 'promising' guys, I have watched her struggle and triumph as a mother. Beautiful.
We drank too much wine, ate too much sushi and laughed a lot. We talked about aging and parenting and all the other things that come with growing up. I shared with her the struggles of Scott, and she regaled me with stories of Cooper (my nephew). We high fived over shared career triumphs. It was AWESOME. She is in town for a few days and I hope to spend each night doing this. It is so neat to watch your little sister grow up and realize that you have so much in common that is sewn into your DNA and some things that are funny and quirky and you know are from your crazy childhood!
Love you Di.
*I just bought a new camera and am taking pictures and practicing every day. I am probably going to be including them pretty regularly, even if they have nothing to do with the post at hand*

2 comments:
sweet apron, yo
Carrie-It's true. I have been wearing for everything...making tea, roasting a chicken, putting together a sandwich. I love it!
Post a Comment