Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Let me into your pantry

As the faithful followers now know, I am a not yet bourgeoning cook of sorts. As I contemplate this change, I am attempting to get my pantry in order. Which leads me to the topic of today's post: What are the essentials in your pantry? I want to know what things to stock my pantry with and the elements that you just can't live without. These may be items that you find yourself reaching for on a daily basis or the things that you only use once in a while, but are treasures to keep on hand.

Open up people! Who cares that you only cook 2 casseroles...I want to know what you stock! I NEED to know. I have started a running list, but am sure I have left things off. Plus, what better way to get to know people than to see what they can't live without? So, I lay my culinary life in your hands.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

some of these are for the fridge ... hope that still counts.

1. Canned tomatoes. There are new fire-roasted varieties that are really good and add some interest.
2. Capers.
3. Beans. Especially black, canellini, kidney, and garbanzo.
4. Dry white wine.
5. Frozen fish or shrimp.
6. Good olives from the deli ... not the ones in the jar.
7. Feta.
8. Whole wheat couscous.

trip said...

Since I stalk your blog daily, I figured I might as well contribute.

1. Morton's Kosher salt; can't cook without it
2. Near East brand couscous; makes up in about 5 minutes and is delicious
3. Black beans; sweat some onions and garlic in a pan, add the beans, a little bit of cumin and top with sour cream and fresh cilantro
4. Thai sweet chili sauce

Carla Jean said...

Oh goodness. Let's see...

1. Lemons. I have been obsessed with lemons lately. It's kind of weird.
2. Creme fraiche!
3. Unsalted butter
4. Other obvious baking goodies: flour, sugar, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vegetable or canola oil, baking soda, baking powder. I love baking.
5. Pasta. Lots of pasta. I've been on an orzo kick lately.
6. Risotto! Also on a risotto kick.
7. Good coffee (does that count?)
8. Good sandwich bread--I like the Italian sandwich bread from the Publix bakery. (Cheaper than regular bread usually, too.)
9. Multiple cheeses. If I could afford it, I would clear out the cheese department at Whole Foods. Instead, I stick with a few basics from Publix. Sigh.
10. Pork chops. I eat stupid amounts of pork.
11. Olive oil
12. Onions. I love onions.

I'm sure I'll think of more. I am also on a kick where I treat myself to a new cooking oil or vinegar every time I grocery shop, so I can slowly build up my selection.

susan said...

Organic chicken stock.
Canned pears. (Weird, I know.)

Jessica said...

-chicken stock or wylers bouillon cubes
-pendery's chili powder
-Beans, dried, canned, whichev (ditto AH)
-Kosher salt
-garlic powder or garlic cloves in water (Whole Foods has a huge selection of garlic products)

I cook a lot, for 2 very hungry males, I think my baby is gonna weigh more than Kevin soon!

Natalie said...

A bit late here, but....

1. Brown rice pasta (super awesome)
2. Brown rice
3. Sucanat (an unrefined sugar that tastes like brown sugar with a little sorghum kick -very rich flavor)
4. Spaghetti sauce
5. Grape Seed oil
6. Grandmom's pesto
7. Cumin
8. Red pepper flakes
9. Paprika...basically and dried herbs and seasonings you can get your hands one. Bulk at Whole Foods is your best buy there.