Thursday, February 14, 2008

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with

Happy Stinkin' Valentines Day!

Today was surprisingly sad for me. Even though Scott and I probably would not have done anything particularly romantic, it still sucks. As I told a friend " Maybe he would have planned a big surprise...I'll never know. This may have been the time that he surprised me with a trip to Rome! ". Which is not true at all...I know him and he thinks it (VDay, not Rome) is as ridiculous as I do :)

It is funny, no matter how stupid the holiday is, it is always a bit depressing when you are alone. Sort of like New Years Eve...you know it is going to be a letdown but every year you get dressed up and hope. So far this year I have made myself some extra yummy coffee, wore my favorite red shirt and went thriftin' on my lunch break. Tonight I will have a lovely dinner with a new friend at my house. I am allowing myself to have little treats, like a waffle maker and extra chocolate after lunch. And maybe some truffles and champagne with dinner. This weekend I may go buy the bike I have not yet been able to bring myself to get.

I have been spending a lot of money lately, much more than usual. Ah, retail therapy. I don't really feel too badly about this. I am normally so careful and conscientious. Right now, little comforts are making a huge difference to me. Books that help me escape, candles to soften the blow of my one bedroom apartment, and delish cheeses to entice me to eat. I know that one day this will need to stop or slow down. Just not quite yet. At least I am not buying ironic Tshirts (for some reason, this makes my spending seem less frivolous).

I am officially rambling and justifying. Hug your friend, eat some chocolate, buy a new soy based candle, tell your friend or lady that she looks pretty. It's F-ing Valentines Day!!!!

No comments: