This weekend I read. I read so much that the only muscle in my body that does not feel atropied is my brain. I devoured words, chewed them up and digested them into my very soul, forever circulating in my mind. I read so much that the lines between real and fiction blurred, and the characters became like friends. The sort of friendships that are intense for a very short period of time, but then taper off, leaving you to wonder if the girl you pass on the street is your long ago Ashley, or Gillian, whom you shared an intense summer abroad with, but now is a stranger, alive only in your memories as the awkward girl that finally understood your love of Beverly Cleary like no other. This weekend I also beat the odds in Vegas, opened a French restaurante, was humiliated and even had an affair with an obscenely younger man.
The books took me away from my life, but also helped me understand it. I understood to the point of tears what was meant when Myriam described loss saying " And then we realize that the earth which opened up beneath our feet, gaping with sorrow, has filled in again. Leaving no trace." (Chez Moi, by Agnes Desarthe, p.80). I saw how my lean toward the chaotic and risky even shows up in what I read,as I joined a crew of MIT kids who took on Vegas (Breaking Vegas, by Ben Mezrich), I found out that I am a 'courtly' book lover, as opposed to a 'carnal' lover! (Ex Libris, by Anne Fadiman)
When my eyes hurt and my neck was sore, I took a break and listened to NPR's Book Tour and Book Lust podcasts (both of which I highly recommend).
Kill your televisions! Support your bookstores! Join the library! Read to your child! Read to your friend! Read to your Spouse! READ, DAMNIT.
Well, time for my weekend love affair to end. Although, seeing as how I buy and read books for a living, I may not have to end this affair for a long, long time. Which is fine with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You get paid to buy books.
Books are cool.
Therefore, you are cool.
Can you get me a discount?
Post a Comment